24 December 2011

Inconclusive

It seems with even the most advanced technology (MRIs), the powers-that-be still cannot be sure what's wrong with my shoulder. The MRI showed inflammation and possibly something 'torn' but can't tell for sure. So doctor gave me two cortisone shots in the shoulder and told me to set up some appointments with the physical therapist. I said, "Can't you just give me some exercises to do and I'll do them on my own?" He was very skeptical that I would actually do them (which I WOULD HAVE), so I agreed to go to the physical therapist a couple of times to see what he/she would have me do and then get a list of exercises from him/lher.


And if all of that doesn't work he said surgery is the next step. I asked, "What would that entail?" He started talking about things like cutting the tip of my collar bone off and shaving bone off the top of my shoulder, etc. My thought was, "Wow! For not knowing exactly what's wrong, it sure seems like you know exactly what needs to be done in surgery!" I didn't say that out loud, but probably should have. I suspect that what he described is some cookie-cutter, assembly-line type surgery that he does to "cure" all shoulder problems. I'll definitely get a second opinion before anything that drastic occurs. Buyer Beware!


I shopped a bit yesterday for my boys' Christmas presents (both adults, but still my little boys). Will probably spend the day in 'laid-back' mode. Wrapping the few gifts and puttering around.


Bigfoot is going to get some of our propane jugs refilled today and that's about all he's got on his schedule.

Underfoot (our pug) will be his usual self and be 'under foot' all day.

Season's Greetings and Happy Holidays to everyone out there in the big ol' blogosphere---From Bigfoot, Littlefoot, and Underfoot.

5 comments:

Ben in Texas said...

Good Grief!!! They want to cut you open even though they don't know what's wrong? BS, do the physical therapy for a couple times till you figer out how you can do it at home.. Then quit going.

tffnguy said...

I agree with BiT! Maybe if you can figure out what to do without surgery you can clue me in and it will help me. I'm sure mine is a torn rotor cuff though and I'm not sure it can be corrected without surgere. Of course that means it won't get fixed.

BTW its been snowing lightly here. It isn't sticking on the ground, but is on the solar panels so I just came in from sweeping them off.

You'll have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Sure wish you'll could make it down here!

jandean said...

Merry Christmas Feets!

little, maybe check out activerelease.com
worked for me

Bigfoot and Littlefoot said...

I totally agree with you, B and D. I'll (maybe) go to physical therapy once or twice and see what they want me to do. Or better yet, I'll just look online and find some exercises (although I've been using it a lot, anyway).

Wow! Snow! I, too, wish we were at our cabin even though it's f**king cold. There's just sumpthin' 'bout bein' down there . . .

Jandean--I'll check out the site. Thanks.

MsBelinda said...

My goodness it seems like all doctors want to do these days in unnecessary surgeries. Glad you are not buying it.

BTW, I love the new look of your blog and the picture of your wedding.

May you have a wonderful christmas.